Tuesday, April 21, 2009

libmysqld - Embedded announcements today

At the MySQL Users Conference, Ken Jacobs from Oracle announced an embedded version of InnoDB, using a low-level, non-SQL interface, but still providing the transactional and other features of InnoDB. This is an interesting development, and I assume that this could be competitive to libmysqld, which you know is near and dear to my heart.

Frankly, I don't think this is the case. Libmysqld still has the edge on having SQL access and being available with more engines. But I DO see a place for Embedded InniDB which is in the really small devices, where not even libmysqld would fit, but you still need transactional capabilities.

But I do admit that this announcement takes some of the glamour away from my presentation on libmysqld, but I promise that I will keep you posted, I will test Embedded InnoDB and try to figure out where it fits, and how.

So watch this space for more information

/Karlsson
Confused if I am working for MySQL, Sun or Oracle. Or someone else...

No comments: